Transfer news: Man City agree £65.4m Rodri sale to Barcelona
Manchester City have agreed to sell Rodri to Barcelona for £65.4m, leaving a major void in Enzo Maresca's midfield.
The World Cup-winning Spain midfielder is set to join Barcelona after Man City accepted their latest offer, with Rodri expected to sign a four-year contract at Camp Nou.
The 30-year-old had entered the final year of his Man City deal and had attracted interest from Barcelona throughout the summer.
The agreement comes after Barcelona had two previous bids rejected, while Man City now face the difficult task of replacing one of the most influential midfielders of the modern era.
Man City lose their midfield reference point
Rodri leaves Man City after seven seasons in which he made 298 appearances and won 12 major honours, including four Premier League titles and the Champions League.
He also claimed the 2024 Ballon d'Or.
His departure was particularly apparent during Sunday's Community Shield, when Man City were beaten 3-0 by Arsenal.
"All teams need a player like Rodri," Maresca said after the defeat.
The Man City boss now has to find a way to compensate for the loss of a player who provided defensive protection, composure in possession and control of matches.
READ MORE: Community Shield news: Elliot Anderson struggles as Arsenal cruise to 3-0 win vs Man City
Anderson has huge role to play
Man City had already broken the British transfer record this summer to sign Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest for £116m, with the midfielder expected to play an increasingly important role.
Anderson's first competitive appearance against Arsenal was underwhelming, however, with the new signing struggling to influence proceedings as the Gunners controlled the midfield.
Maresca is also pursuing Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi as another potential addition.
"He's still a Lille player," Maresca said. "But any new signing, any new player, for sure as soon as they arrive it's better."
What happens with Enzo Fernandez?
Rodri's departure had been closely linked to Man City's interest in Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernandez.
Chelsea imposed a deadline for Man City to make a £120m offer, but that deadline passed without a formal bid on Friday, August 14.
Chelsea therefore expect Fernández to remain at Stamford Bridge, although Man City continue to consider the Argentina international.
Fernandez remains a player Maresca admires, but Man City now have to determine whether replacing Rodri requires one major signing or a broader midfield rebuild.
READ NEXT: Arsenal vs Man City betting tips and predictions: Goals and Gyokeres offer value in Community Shield